Thursday, April 14, 2011

If we had been there...

As the sun reflects off raindrops upon leaves, may the heartsprings of my life, resting in faith reflect nothing less than the love of Jesus!

I've been playing through hymnals quite a bit lately on the piano as I(and a few little voices at times)sing along. Right now I am playing through beauties from Hymns For the Family of God. In the midst of "His life and Ministry" section, #286 there is a reading that goes along with an American folk hymn "Were You There?" It's thought provoking. Beautiful, prodding words fill it's paragraphs and it's title "If We Had Been There" rightly begs the questions:
We're we there? No, but if we would have seen Jesus' life and ministry firsthand would we live each day differently today?  If we had touched his hands, walked in His footsteps and had known the sound of His voice... would our faith be greater? Would we live a life more abandoned for God in this year 2011; a life different than the world's flow, than the tug of society and yes, even our fellow believers?

"If we had been Jews, would we have spoken out for Him
when the Sanhedrin accused Him of blasphemy?
If we had been Gentiles, would we have defended Him
when the Romans condemned Him to death?
If we had been disciples, would we have stayed with Him
when the crowd became a crucifying mob?
Or would we have been like Peter-
who followed Him and loved Him
and denied Him three times before dawn?

Were you there when they crucified my Lord?
O! Sometimes it causes me to tremble, tremble, tremble.

And the Christ who was crucified there, once said:
"As you have done it to the least of these, My brothers,
you have done it unto Me."
As nations rise in war
As governments oppress the poor
As passive people turn and look aside
In silence
We crucify
Again-
We crucify.

As indifference forms the pattern of our lives,
As hungry children cry for food,
As widows mourn alone in empty rooms,
In apathy-
We crucify.
Again-
We crucify.

Were you there when they nailed Him to the tree?
O! Sometimes it causes me to tremble, tremble, tremble.

I think of the nails that crucified my Lord.
They were made of iron; but more-
They were made of hatred, prejudice and greed.
And I wonder-
What part of myself creates mails in other forms
that wound my brother or sister-and my Lord?

You know how many times I have betrayed you, Lord.
You know the times I have chosen evil over good.
Guilt lies upon me like an iron cloak.
My soul is heavy-my burden hard.

Were you there when He rose up from the grave?
O! Sometimes it causes me to tremble, tremble, tremble.

In the act of death He absorbs our sins.
In love, He forgives our failures.
In the act of resurrection He gives the promise of acceptance,
the assurance of forgiveness, the affirmation of eternal life.
"Your sins are forgiven you", He said, "Go and sin no more."

Through You love, I am made whole,
Through Your death, I have found new life.
You are my shield, my redeemer and my hope.
My sins are forgiven-Hallelujah!"

-Marilee Zdenek

No comments:

Post a Comment