Monday, May 24, 2010

Sewing projects

I am certainly not a learned sewer! Beyond sewing on buttons, I have never had a formal class or lesson. I have never read a book, pamphlet or a how-to. I've never used a pattern, guide or straight edge. I've never owned a sewing machine, thimble or a bobbin.
I've made do with sewing on buttons and patches by hand along with torn seams when needed.


I do have creativity in droves, though. Make that a lot of gumption and determination as well! As "un"smart as some people may think diving into a project without possessing all of the needed skills may be, I tend to enjoy the excitement and satisfaction that comes from doing them on my own. I enjoy the anticipation and challenge of figuring things out, making things work, designing and learning new things along the way.


I have been working on some gifts for a couple of my precious friends. Cloth napkins. Simple squares and rectangles, with 3 beads to dress one corner of each. I enjoyed cutting these napkins out of old clothing from the thrift store. I will be satisfied if they last through one meal. Just one. I will. They will. The napkins may not be perfect... but I'm so over perfection anyway. I do my best, and call it good enough.

My dear mother-in-law has lent me her sewing machine for this little endeavor. I am enjoying having it available for other mending projects as well! I may just have to go out and by me one of these handy dandy machines someday.


Ahh, all finished.

No book, guide or pattern needed here... well, after I read the manual to see how to turn the sewing machine on that is...

No comments:

Post a Comment