Thursday, October 21, 2010

A simple gift

I visited the cutest consignment shop this week with a sweet friend and her mother. Children-less no less, which was divine! This shop is in a beautiful barn and chocked full of classy home decor, consignment furniture, books, jewelry, adorable holiday pretties and odds & ends household items! Both new and used. It is a treasure chest! It was a breath of fresh air type of afternoon. I may seem the type to handle stress, noise and busy-ness very well and that mothering and nurturing come easily for me but when it comes down to being comfortable-well, quietness and order call my name.  And as ALL of you fellow mothers know... that is not easy to come by in a household of seven!
My God sustains me... and thankfully, completely covers those places I am lacking in.
~
Books do not always shout out to me from the quiet of their shelves, but on this warm afternoon, this particular one did. 

A 4th grade Elson reader, copyright 1931. I think the color of it's facade caught my eye, but when I picked it up and flipped through some of the pages I was delighted with the bright pictures and stories of moral character and attitude that are a rare find these days. The book is magical, enchanting and captivating. A perfect gift for my 9 year old daughter who is a gifted reader. It was waiting by her birthday breakfast this morning along with a few cards from the mail and dollar store gifts from her many excited siblings.
~
Happy Birthday, my girl!
Go enjoy some adventures... Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment