Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Oatmeal.
One of my fave breakfasts!
It's a filling meal and will "stick to your ribs" as they say for half of the day! Keeping you feeling full, energetic and not the least bit hungry. I swear my brain feels quite alert and clearer as well after I've eaten a bowl of oats, but I don't know... if that's scientifically proven and such.
But
I do know it's loaded with vitamin B, iron, fiber, vitamin A and calcium. Even more importantly though is what it doesn't have in it; fat(minimal amounts) and cholesterol (NONE!).
Another great fact about oatmeal is that it is CHEAP! It's practically non-perishable, good for your heart, gets rid of bad cholesterol and is one of the most beneficial foods to feed growing children.
One of my favorite ways to make my oatmeal is as follows:


Mommy's oatmeal


One serving cooked oatmeal
fresh milk
molasses
honey
baked coconut
real vanilla
cinnamon
salt
Mix one t. of molasses, 2 t of honey, 1/8 cup coconut(or more if you are a coconut lover), 1/4 t. vanilla, 2 dashes of cinnamon and salt into oatmeal. Add milk to desired consistency and tada! You have a healthy, yet delicious, nutritious breakfast of champions!
If you are in the mood for a healthy "dessert", try chocolate chips instead of coconut.... mhhhmm, oh my, it's like a freshly made warm chocolate chip cookie.
Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment