Friday, June 25, 2010

We love peanut butter in this home. It is a breakfast, lunch, snack, dessert and sometimes even dinner staple favorite. Peanut butter is OH so yummy just as it is, but for a more well-rounded snack, I like to add to it. Homemade Nut butter is healthy, yummy, quick and convenient. It really is a very versatile concoction and you could experiment, add to, and take away from this recipe and it would still be just as yummy. Sometimes I just use whatever I can find in my cupboard... I'm such a do-it-myselfer, and a lover of all things organic and homemade, although I prefer to draw the line at growing my own peanuts, harvesting grain, keeping bees.... stuff like that, you know?
I thought I would share my tentative(as I usually just throw stuff randomly in to the food processor) recipe with you all!!

Semi-homemade Nut Butter:

2 cups raw almonds
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup raw walnuts
1/4 cup Molasses
1 cup raw honey
1 28 ounce jar of creamy organic peanut butter
2T Flax oil

Grind almonds, sunflower seeds and walnuts in processor until chopped well but not creamy or pasty. It's A-okay to have big pieces of nuts floating around still. Pour ground up nuts and the rest of the ingredients into a large bowl and stir well! You can add more or less Flax oil to make the Nut butter just the right consistency for your taste. I have also added Nutella, cinnamon or salt to the Nut butter depending on what kind of mood I am in(or what I may have on hand). Put it in a jar, screw on the lid and put it on your pantry shelf ready to smear onto Flat bread, bread, tortillas, pitas or crackers at a moment's notice. It's great for dipping carrots, apples or celery into as well.
I've found that keeping many old lidded jars from peanut butter, pickles, you-name-it, and re-using them to store things like this Nut butter in is a thrifty and handy trick!
Enjoy, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment