Saturday, May 1, 2010

Mommy's little baker


On a recent very cool morning, while I sipped my lovely coffee beaming with pride, my eldest read out loud in the Bible and the rain drizzled outside, my second in command took to some delectable baking (as I guided, of course!)!

Homeschooling, housework and Bible reading-are all intertwined and connected to parenting. If you have children, you are already homeschooling them whether or not you formally "school" them at home.

I am reading a friend-borrowed book called "The successful Home school Family Handbook" by Dr. Raymond & Dorothy Moore. I've only made it through 6 of it's riveting 46 chapters not because of dis-interest but time. I look forward to getting through ALL of it's informative and encouraging content. It's amazing the influence a child's home and family life has on every aspect of whether or not they will be successful human beings in the outside world. How warmly, openly and lovingly their parents accept and treat them in the home directly affects their future relationships and how they approach other people and situations. How rich their relationships are at home, in essence will determine if the child will grow and mature to live a long, positive, fulfilling life! That makes 'relationships' more important than 'workbooks' to me.
An amazing read for any parent.


Now excuse me while I go and nibble on yet another coconut treat!

Coconut Macaroons
courtesy of fratcook

2/3 cups flour
5 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
1/4 t. salt
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 t. vanilla (or substitute one t. vanilla with almond extract)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl stir together coconut, flour and salt until well mixed. Stir in milk and vanilla until well mixed. Use a scooper to drop cookies onto prepared cookie sheet. Cookies should be about golf ball size.


Bake for 12-15 minutes in preheated oven, until coconut is toasted. Enjoy the delicious chewy toasty-ness! Bake an additional 5 minutes for a more toasty, firm texture and flavor.



No comments:

Post a Comment